Can you believe it? In one week it is the 4th of July! We are over half way through our “summer,” since I go back to teaching and lil man starts PreK at the end of July! We have been enjoying our bits of freedom, like hanging out with friends on weekdays, borrowing loads of movies from the library, baking like there’s no tomorrow, and taking naps in the middle of the day for no other reason than we can. It is glorious, and probably even more so because I know it is coming to an end way too soon.
One of my absolute favorite memories of the summer growing up was picking blueberries at a family friend’s berry farm. I even tried my hand at selling them to family and friends a couple summers… I’m no sales person, so that didn’t last long. Really the best part of picking gallons of blueberries was that my mom would make blueberry cream cheese pie. I looked forward to this every year! There is just something about it that screams summer for me. Maybe it’s the juicy blueberries or the sweet creamy filling… it was perfect on a hot day after swimming in the pool. We got a couple blueberry bushes eventually, so this became an even bigger Summer staple since we had to use them up some how!
The first time I saw dry pints of blueberries on sale this year, my mouth started watering for this pie. So I researched and found a couple recipes, but none of them really hit the mark. So I tweaked and combined and I think I hit the pie I remember. The crust is just the right amount of buttery/crunchiness, the filling is just the right amount of creamy and sweet, and the topping is loaded with blueberries just like I like it. It is pretty simple, but I highly encourage trying to make your own graham cracker crust and using name brand ingredients. Seriously, Honey Maid Graham Crackers are so much better than store brand, there is no comparison. The brands I normally use for the other main ingredients are Challenge unsalted butter (super creamy), Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (yum), and Philadelphia cream cheese. This is my first attempt of sharing a recipe like this, so let me know what you think!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Pie
A perfect Summer treat!
For Pie Crust
1 pack, or about 9 graham crackers
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
7 tbsp of unsalted butter melted
1 pinch of salt
1 can sweetened condensed milk
8 oz of cream cheese softened (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup of lemon juice
1 pint of blueberries
heaping 1/4 cup of sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch
- For Graham Cracker Pie Crust
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place graham crackers in a zip bag and crush by rolling over them with a rolling pin until fine.
- Combine light brown sugar and melted butter in with the crumbs and mix together until crumbs are completely coated in butter.
- Dump mixture in the pie dish and press it into the bottoms and the sides using a stemless wine glass to make for a well compressed crust. (If you don’t have a stemless wine glass, you can use a regular glass for the bottom and fingers for the sides.)
- Place crust in the oven for 10 minutes at 325.
- Let crust cool completely before adding filling. For Filling
- In a stand mixer, use the wire whip attachment (looks like a whisk) to mix together the sweetened condensed milk and the softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Add lemon juice and vanilla and mix until combined. Continue to mix for about 5 minutes to help the filling set.
- When the crust is cool, pour filling in crust. For Topping
- Heat Blueberries and sugar on medium heat stirring regularly.
- After syrup forms and blueberry to syrup ratio is about equal, add cornstarch and stir until completely combined.
- Remove from heat and allow the topping to cool for a minute or two.
- Pour topping over filling and place in the fridge for about 2-3 hours to set.
- Cut, Serve, and Enjoy!
I can’t wait to hear what you guys think of it! Don’t forget, the Anchored Press Giveaway is still going on until June 30th.